- To work closely with the Virtual School in all things educational.
- To consult with the Virtual School if they are considering moving the child’s educational placement or if there has been a change in education provision, ie. alternative education provision.
- Arrange PEP meetings; (1) within ten days of the child coming into care, (2) meetings to be held at six monthly intervals thereafter and (3) within twenty days of the looked-after child changing schools.
- To initiate the PEP within ten days of the child coming into care by inviting the school, child, foster carers, Virtual School and other relevant professionals to the meeting.
- To be an education advocate for the child and to pre-populate the social care sections of the PEP form in preparation for the meeting.
- Ensure that the PEP document effectively captures the key points of the meeting, the needs of the child, their attainment, progress and any achievements or worries with clear timescales and actions for each person (including the child).
- Write up the PEP document and give copies to school, foster carers, parents (if appropriate), the child (if appropriate) and the Virtual School.
- Present the PEP at the first review of the care plan.
- Initiate a PEP even if a child does not have a school place.
For further useful information, please click the links below.
CPD Resources for Social Workers by Anspear
Nottingham City Virtual School is making interactive resources available to support new and experienced social workers with information and guidance written by experienced colleagues from Virtual Schools across the country.
What will you gain?
› Specific insights and strategies on supporting vulnerable children in care.
› Specialised information on attachment theory, trauma, inclusion and more.
› Digital certificates and badges upon completing courses
Click here to access further information and find out how to get your login details.
Virtual School Training for Social Workers
The Virtual School offer training and development opportunities for Designated Teachers throughout the year. Please visit our Virtual School Training page for further details, click here to access this page.