Schools Responsibilities for Promoting the Education of Children in Care
Since September 2009, the governing bodies of all schools are required under the Children and Young Persons Act 2008 to appoint a designated teacher to promote the educational achievement of children in care who are on the school roll. Following the Children and Social Work Act 2017, this act extends the designated teacher’s duties to promote the educational achievement of previously looked after children too. The designated teacher’s responsibilities include:
- Promote a culture of high expectations and aspirations for children in care and previously looked after children where the personalised learning needs of every child matters and their personal, emotional and academic needs are prioritised
- Ensure school staff understand the things which can affect how children in care and previously looked after children learn and achieve and how the whole school can support their educational achievement
- To be a central point of initial contact within the school
- Have lead responsibility for the development and implementation of the children in care personal education plans (PEP) within the school
- Ensure that the Pupil Premium Plus funding is deployed effectively
- Ensure that children in care and previously looked after children have a voice in setting learning targets
- Monitor the progress of children in care and previously looked after children within the school
- Act as an advocate within the school for children in care and previously looked after children
CPD Resources for Designated Teachers by Anspear
Nottingham City Virtual School is making interactive resources available to support new and experienced designated teachers with information and guidance written by experienced colleagues from Virtual Schools across the country.
What will you gain?
› Specific insights and strategies on supporting children in care and those children who were previously in care, in need and on a child protection plan.
› Specialised information on attachment theory, trauma, inclusion and more.
› Digital certificates and badges upon completing courses
Click here to access further information and find out how to get your login details.
Virtual School Training for Designated Teachers
The Virtual School offer training and development opportunities for Designated Teachers throughout the year. Please visit our Virtual School Training page for further details, click here to access this page.